- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup pumpkin purée (pure canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons molasses (I often forget this, but you shouldn't)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries that have bathed overnight in a couple tablespoons of Henesseys
- demerara sugar and coarse sea salt
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Line 12 muffin cup or grease with butter or whatever you use.
Place the oil, pumpkin, buttermilk, eggs, and molasses in a medium bowl. Stir with a fork to blend.
In a large bowl, whisk together
the flours, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, spices, and baking soda.
Using a rubber spatula, fold the wet ingredients into the dry
ingredients until just mixed. Fold in the cranberries.
Divide the batter among the muffin cups and top with a light and lovely mixture of the salt and sugar. Bake for 20-25 minutes. If your oven is like mine, bake for 10 minutes, rotate the tins, and bake another 10 minutes.Allow the muffins to cool in their tins for 5 minutes before inverting onto a cooling rack.